Keeping a sound roof actually tops the list of important home roof repairs. It keeps you and your family warm and dry, together with everything in your house. Any damage or indications of wear require instant action to keep water from seeping under the shingles and decomposing the wood sheathing below. Overlooking an issue– even what appears to be a small one– will speed up the need to re-roof and can add numerous dollars to the expense of a new roof.
If your roof is more than 20 years old and the majority of the shingles are damaged or terribly worn, it’s time to change it. But if your roofing is generally sound and is at a relatively shallow pitch that you’re comfortable dealing with, you can probably deal with most repair services yourself. Here, we’ll take you through the three most common ones: replacing damaged shingles; gluing down a badly curled shingle and repairing shingles that have actually broken. Always make roof repairs on a warm, dry afternoon; the shingles will be suppler and less likely to split. And never climb onto a roofing system that’s damp, icy or covered with morning dew.
Switching Shingles As Part Of Roof Repairs
- If part of a shingle is missing, you’ll need to change the whole thing. First see if you have any leftover shingles from the last time the roofing system was dealt with (with any luck, the builder or the roofing contractor who handled the task left some behind). If not, you’ll have to buy a bundle at a home center or lumberyard ($15 to $20 per square– 100 sq. ft.– of basic three-tab shingles). If you cannot find an ideal match, select the closest one.
- Replacing a damaged shingle needs a hammer, a flat lever, an energy bill knife and a handful of 11/4-in. roofing nails. Each shingle is at first secured with 4 nails; when the next shingle course above is installed, its nails pass through the top edge of the shingles in the course below.
- Begin getting rid of the very first row of nails by moving the pry bar under the shingle right above the damaged one and carefully raising it to free it from the sealer strip. You’ll see the very first row of nails below.
- Slip the lever under the harmed shingle and pry upward. When the nail turns up about 1/4 in., remove the pry bar, press the shingle down and take out the nail. Repeat this treatment for the remaining 3 nails. Then push the lever under the shingle straight above the harmed one and eliminate the second row of nails the very same way. After pulling all 8 nails, pull out the harmed shingle.
- If the existing shingles are break, you might not be able to pry out the second row of nails without splitting a shingle. In that case, tear out the damaged shingle and cut V-notches in the replacement to fit around the four nails. Slide the new shingle up into the location and secure it with four nails.
Caring for Curled Corners
As asphalt shingles grow older, their corners commonly start to curl downward or up. If you see a shingle starting to curl, you can avert the inevitable curling by gluing down the curled section.
Utilize a caulking weapon to use a dab of roof sealant (about $4 per 10-oz. tube) under the corner. Weigh it down with a brick; leave the weight in location for a minimum of 24 hours till the sealant dries. That’s all there is to it.
Repair Cracked Shingles
Standard roof repairs also consist of repairing broken shingles. If a shingle is merely cracked or torn, you do not have to replace it– simply fix it. Start by using a thick bead of roof repair sealant under the fracture. Press the shingle down and apply the second bead of sealant on top of the fracture. Then spread out the sealant with a putty knife.
The very best part of this repair is that no one has to know you made it. It’s easy to camouflage: Inspect the rain gutter for an accumulation of colored granules that have actually washed down the roof from the shingles. Then gather some into a little cup and spray them over the sealant to mask the repair work.
Give MB Roofing Pros a call today to learn more about professional roof repairs.
MB Roofing Pros
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577