Surfside Beach, which is a town that can be found in Horry County in South Carolina, is dubbed as the “The Family Beach” and forms part of the Grand Strand. It spans 2.0 square miles, of which 0.04 square mile is water and 1.9 square miles is land.
In 1964, Surfside Beach first incorporated and started with 881 residents. It was previously called Roach’s Beach and only a few buildings were left following the hurricane back in 1893. Lumber and feed farms for horses and mules were the primary industries. Mr. George J. Holiday renamed the place to Floral Beach, as a tribute to his wife Flora and daughter, Floramay.
A Columbian group bought and partially developed the land in the 1920s. It got a new owner in 1952 and it was renamed to Surfside Beach. Even after Hurricane Hazel damaged the area, the developers still endeavoured to improve the place. Later on, T.J. Harrison became its first mayor. But it was in 1956 when the area witnessed significant changes. By 1964, it started to earn a reputation as a family beach and a wonderful place to retire. The development continued over the years and earned another title as “the south strand.”
The town of Surfside Beach is a modest sized beach community featuring two miles of oceanfront. It also extends inland into Highway 17 Bypass. The area is located south of the city limits of Myrtle Beach. It then extends past Highway 544 to the south. As mentioned earlier, this area started to be developed during the mid 1900s.
The town got the punch it needed after Hurricane Hazel in 1954 and the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base expansion. The town’s incorporation in 1964 was partly brought on by the construction of modern houses that were up to hurricane codes and the significant increase in the area’s population.
Hotels, oceanfront homes, restaurants, residential neighborhoods, and businesses started to pop up. The significant mix of recreational, residential, and commercial properties lured more tourists up until this day.